Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Just FYI

What camera do I use?



This is a question I have gotten a few times this past month, and to many times to count over the years.
So, I thought I would finally just address it here. I actually always find it amusing the look on a budding photographers face when they want to know what equipment I use.
Here is the thing.....once you are a more experienced photographer, and have some years under your belt you will learn the same thing. DRUM ROLL PLEASE:

YOUR ANSWER FROM THE HOLY GRAIL.........READY?

It doesn't really matter what camera you use, as long as you have a decent mid-level to pro-slr, or dslr. Who really cares what brand, or size camera you use.

NEWS FLASH!

Comparing Nikon & Canon is about like comparing Ford & Chevy, Toyota vs Nissan....the truth is anyone of them will get you from point A to point B it just depends on which one is really your preference. New inexperienced photographers, or *Newbies*, really think if they go out and spend as much money as they possibly can afford on the latest, and greatest camera they will instantly become a GREAT photographer. Where did this mentality come from?...I don't get it...that's like saying you just turned 18, passed your driving test, and you go out, and buy a Lamborghini as your first car. The scary part is you might find out after the Lambo purchase that it's manual 6 speed gear box, and suspension, and clutch might all be a little much for you. You might actually be better off in like a used Nissan Altima with an automatic transmission, or something to really learn to drive and feel comfortable.

HEAR THIS AN FKING LISTEN.....the camera you hold in your hand, does not make the photographer, good, or bad. It's mearly a tool. So, Nikon, Canon, who cares....I'm loyal to Nikon not because it's a better camera than Canon, because it's what I know, it's what I started with. Nikon right after Kodak was the first company to produce a Digital Single Reflex camera. Kodak did it first with the Kodak DCS-720 & 760 but those camera's were huge, were like 2 megapixels and cost right at 10grand, and were actually built around the Nikon F5 35mm film body. Meaning Kodak put their own guts in a Nikon shell to produce a digital camera.

Don't get down on yourself, or your art because you don't have the budget for the latest, and greatest DSLR that Nikon, or Canon just rolled out. If you are so concerned about keeping up with the Jone's with what gear you have in your bag, than that tells me you're really not that serious about your art, you just like to look cool to other photographers because your camera is newer, bigger, better than his.

Truth is that's one main reason I don't hang out with a lot of photographers, because instead of standing around, and really comparing images, and pictures they have shot. No, they want to stand around, and do the my Di** is bigger than your Di** while comparing how many thousands of dollars they spent on gear, to get the latest, and greatest of what is hot on the market now camera wise.

I'm not going to say having the latest, and greatest camera isn't beneficial in some aspects, but it definitely isn't the most important. A lot of times all the newer camera does though is makes things more difficult with more wasteful bells, and whistles that you really don't need that overloads the menu, and just makes things more complicated.

I don't know about you, but the last thing I want is to be in the middle of a shoot when I push a button on my new awesome camera, and turn on graph, or something that I can't figure out how to turn off, so I have to set down with a manual for 30 minutes to read, and figure out how to turn it off.

With the new explosion of modern technology, and web 2.0 today it actually seems like everyone is either a Photographer, Model, DJ, or Club Promoter. My opinion they have all lost their luster....back in the day to tell someone you were a photographer even a moderately successful one really meant something. Today, in my opinion unless you have a really decent body of work to back it up,...it's a joke.

This day, and time their really isn't anything special about being a photographer, there is a gazillion out there because every kid who can rake up a grand can hit Best Buy, and buy a standard prosumer DSLR, and put a I'm a photographer Facebook page, and bam, their in business, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It just really waters down the market, making it harder to really stand out, so you better have some skill level.

I'm not going to lie, I am a techie dork. I LOVE CAMERA GEAR......I would honestly like to own probably about $20,000 dollars worth of more gear, just because I love gear, and stuff, but do I really need it....umm, no. Most photographers who take out a 2nd mortgage on their home to buy all the top notch gear love to talk down to any other budding photographer who just got into photography by acting like he isn't a really real photographer because he doesn't have a studio, and $1000's of dollars worth of equipment. The truth is if the kid with the new entry prosumer DSLR, has a better creative eye, and vision, he may in a very short time, put the ole pro with all his $1000's of dollars in equipment out to pasture. Doesn't matter how much you spend on gear, it doesn't make for a great photographer.

You want to be a great photographer buy a decent camera, and stick with that camera, and learn it, when that camera becomes an extension of your hand, when you don't even have to think to make it operate, you can just concentrate on the subject in front of you....that's when the magic starts to really happen.

The truth is, if you want to impress me with your photography skills....break out an old full manual Leica, Pentax, Minolta 35mm, set it up, and shoot some film, and come out with some great images. I know I can do it...can you? The truth is compared to today, photography was hard back in the day, but I know because of my skill level I can still take a great image on one of those ole 35mm camera's. So, I know for myself it really doesn't matter what camera I have I can take some decent pictures with it, because I understand the aspect of how a camera really works, and I make it work for me, as a tool not a show, and tell peace to make other pro photographers go ewww and awwww over.

The newer camera's just makes photography easier, but if you have complete confidence in your photography skills, and camera operation.




Any ole camera will do.


























No comments:

Post a Comment